I’m fascinated by the fact the Earth-system is a massive conduit of power, with energy flowing into the system in the form of sunlight, flowing out of it as infrared. The flow involved is simply extraordinary: 120,000 terawatts. That’s 10,000 times the amount that flows through our industrial civilisation – all the world’s reactors, turbines, cars, furnaces, boilers, generators and so on put together.
Top Posts & Pages
- RT @sciamblogs: Extraordinary Footage From Starship Juno: A starship comes tearing through the solar system, its sensors captu... http://t.… 8 hours ago
- RT @karanjohar: #Sec377 is not just a violation of human rights but also makes democracy seem like a mirage in our country.... 8 hours ago
- RT @over_rated: The soft bigotry of calling it a "lifestyle choice." #Section377 8 hours ago
- RT @spiritualman: BBC News - Dinosaur asteroid 'sent life to Mars' bbc.in/18BoAJv 8 hours ago
- RT @ninatypewriter: Dear NSA: Please tell your phone companies buddies that cell service should be EVERYWHERE, including the middle-of-nowh… 8 hours ago
Tagsacademic life activism agriculture animal behavior art astronomy behavior biodiversity biology birds blogging California carnivalia cinema citizen science climate change communication conference conservation cool cosmos csuf culture culture war darwin democracy development disaster Earth ecology economics education energy environment evolution extinction feminism film food Fresno global warming health history human humor India iPhone life marine media medicine memory migration music nature pbs photography poetry politics pollution reconciliation ecology research satire science seminar South Asia technology ULTRA urban urban ecology US video water wildlife wonder