I’m fascinated by the fact the Earth-system is a massive conduit of power, with energy flowing into the system in the form of sunlight, flowing out of it as infrared. The flow involved is simply extraordinary: 120,000 terawatts. That’s 10,000 times the amount that flows through our industrial civilisation – all the world’s reactors, turbines, cars, furnaces, boilers, generators and so on put together.
Top Posts & Pages
- WTH Google Now?! I search for IMAX shows of Star Trek in Mumbai; you find 5 'nearby' theatres: 1 in Mumbai, 1-Hyderabad, 2-Dubai, 1-Doha! 9 hours ago
- RT @tiwarisac: Sme evenings ths kind of a reading can be shattering aeonmagazine.com/living-togethe… (on street children) 10 hours ago
- Ghost cities & fake cities...oddities in China. A Pair Of Artists Reveal China’s Counterfeit Cities fastcodesign.com/node/1672620 via @FastCoDesign 12 hours ago
- RT @riffraaf: @leafwarbler started listening to this. Also interesting: geo engineering and messing w/ nature: democracynow.org/2013/5/20/geoe… 12 hours ago
- Check out @ThisAmerLife episode 495: 'Hot In My Backyard.' tal.fm/495 #climatechange 22 hours ago
Tagsacademic life activism animal behavior biodiversity birds blogging California climate change communication conservation csuf culture culture war Earth ecology economics education energy environment evolution film Fresno global warming history human humor India marine media memory music nature photography politics pollution reconciliation ecology satire science urban urban ecology US video water wildlife wonder